See the latest awards we have won on our Industry Awards page here


Pedestrian Accident Lawyers

In NSW, if you sustain an injury as a result of being struck by a motor vehicle while a pedestrian, you can make a claim for compensation under the Motor Accident Injuries Act 2017.

Free Claim Check
5 star client rating icon

5-Star Client


Free Case Assessments

Free Case

Industry Experts

Industry Experts: 20+ years of experience

No Win No Fee

No Win No Fee Guaranteed

5 star client rating icon

5-Star Client


Free Case Assessments

Free Case

Industry Experts

Industry Experts: 20+ years of experience

No Win No Fee

No Win No Fee Guaranteed

The Act applies to injuries sustained on or after 1 December 2017 and applies to all injuries sustained within NSW.

Of course, you should immediately seek medical treatment for any injuries you have sustained and obtain the registration number of the car involved. You must report the accident to the police within 28 days and get an event number from the police.

If it was a hit and run, you can still make a claim even if you do not know the details of the car. This claim is made against the nominal defendant and again will need to be reported to the police.

What Pedestrian Accidents Can You Claim Compensation For?

You can make a claim for compensation under the Motor Accident Injuries Act NSW 2017 if you have been hit by a car as a pedestrian. It doesn’t matter if the accident is wholly, partially, or not your fault. If you have been struck by a motor vehicle and sustained injury you can make a claim. You can make a claim if you are a pedestrian hit by a car, truck, bus, taxi, motorcycle or even a forklift.

What if I was at fault in the accident?

In most accidents where a pedestrian is hit by a car, it is the driver of the car who is considered to be at fault. Drivers have a duty to avoid hitting pedestrians, even when the pedestrian may be considered partly at fault.

Almost all pedestrians who have sustained an injury by being hit by a car can make a claim for compensation. There may be some reduction for “contributory negligence” however, you are still likely to be able to obtain significant compensation for your injuries.

What if it was a hit and run?

If you are injured in a hit and run and cannot identify the vehicle which caused the accident, then you can still make a claim under the NSW CTP scheme. You make a claim against the “Nominal Defendant”, which is a government insurer and will pay you any compensation even where the vehicle which caused the accident cannot be identified.

How to make a claim for compensation if injured as a pedestrian

To claim compensation benefits for injuries received after 1 December 2017, you need to complete an Application for Personal Injury Benefits. You will find this on the SIRA website,

To complete the Application for Personal Injury Benefits form you will need the following information:

  1. The police event number.
  2. The registration number of the vehicle that hit you.
  3. A Medical Certificate of Fitness from your general practitioner, which outlines the injuries you have sustained.
  4. Accounts/receipts for any medical treatment you have incurred.

You can complete the form online or forward a copy to the CTP insurer of the vehicle which struck you. You can find out the third party CTP insurer by contacting CTP assist on 1300 656 919 and providing them with the registration details of the vehicle which hit you.

How long do you have to make a pedestrian injury claim?

You must make an Application for Personal Injury Benefits through the SIRA within 28 days to be eligible for payment of loss of income and medical expenses. You also need to have reported the accident to the Police and obtain an event number within 28 days of the accident.

How long does a pedestrian injury claim take?

Once you submit the Application for Personal Injury Benefits the insurer will review your claim and will within days make payments for compensation and medical expenses. It is important to therefore make the application for personal injury benefits as soon as possible.

The insurer is then required, within 26 weeks, to decide the following:

  1. Whether the driver of the motor vehicle was at fault and caused the accident.
  2. Whether you have a “minor injury.”

This decision by the insurer is important. If the insurer finds that the driver of the vehicle was not at fault or that you as the pedestrian were mostly at fault, then the loss of income, payments, and medical expenses will cease after 26 weeks.

If the insurer finds that you have a “minor injury” as defined in the Act, loss of income and medical expenses will cease as at 26 weeks.

If the insurer decides that the driver of the vehicle was at fault and you have more than a “minor injury”, then you are entitled to claim further compensation after 26 weeks including the following:

  • Loss of income payments for up to five years.
  • Medical expenses and care for life.
  • Claim common law damages.

If you disagree with the decision of the insurer, you will need the assistance of a lawyer to challenge that decision through a Dispute resolution System known as DRS.

Common-Law Damages

A claim for common law damages entitles you to claim lump-sum compensation for the injuries you have sustained as follows:

  1. Damages for non-economic loss – this includes an amount of compensation for pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. It is is a lump sum payment, which is usually in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. The extent of the payment depends on the nature and extent of the injuries and how they affect you.
  2. Damages for economic loss – payment of past and future loss of income and superannuation. From the date of the accident up until retirement.

Both of the above amounts are payable as a one-off lump sum amount to compensate you for your injuries. Once you have received compensation under a common law damages claim, then you are entitled to weekly payments for loss of income will cease.
You continue, however, to be entitled to payment of all reasonable and necessary medical treatment and care for the remainder of your life.

If you require any legal advice in relation to pedestrian accident claims, please hesitate to contact Garling & Co Lawyers and speak to one of our accredited specialists in personal injury law on 02 8518 1120 or

Would you like assistance with your claim?

Complete our free, no obligation confidential case assessment form and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.

Alternatively, we are available to talk by phone and email. Please contact our experienced accredited specialist personal injury lawyers to find out how we can help.

No Win No Fee

You won’t be required to pay any fees until we win your case.

Industry Experts

We’re industry experts with over 20 years of experience.

Maximum Compensation

Our team of expert injury lawyers will help you get maximum compensation.

Anthony T.
00:50 16 Apr 24
Thank you Matthew and his team who guided me through the legal process, a truly positive experience with total professionalism.
Mikaele N.
03:01 15 Apr 24
Garling &Co Lawyers were awesome, I called every compensation law firm and was told that I couldn't claim for compensation.The whole experience and process was simple and stress free.Mr Matthew... Garling and Allison deserve an accolades for the very best in client service. I would highly recommend their service to more
Tamara L.
02:10 15 Apr 24
I want to thank Garling & Co so much for all the help they have given me and helped with my claim. We got the win last week and it was the best news I have gotten considering how much my life has... been turned upside down the past 2 years. Emma and Rebecca have been incredible to work with and explained everything from the start even when I had hesitation to go ahead regarding how much everything would cost or how fair it could go or even if I had a chance, but they explained everything thoroughly, so I understood it all. Thank you for making this process seamlessly easy and helping me get the win it will make things a little easy for me that's for sure financial thank you for all your help I cannot recommend you and your services enough. Thank you more
Sigrid W.
05:01 11 Apr 24
Utter professionalism from first phone call to final settlement. It was a pleasure to be represented by a firm that actually cares for their clients. From office staff, to paralegal and solicitor... Rebecca, Emma and Matthew thank you for your support and expertise throughout my claim. No wonder your firm has won many awards. I'm extremely happy with my outcome and can confidently recommend your more
01:09 09 Apr 24
Highly recommend Matthew & Allison at Garling and Co ! Quick response ! helpful every step of the way ! If you want the best compensation lawyer, Matthew @ Garling and co is the bestDoesn’t waste... time. Very informative ! excellent guidance! They get the job done ✅Website is perfect guide5 Star ⭐️ is not enoughI’m so grateful to Matthew, Allison and team for my outcome so far !Thank you 😊 Garling and co are awesome 👏 🤩read more
Jaimie K.
06:11 02 Apr 24
Have had a rollercoaster ride with Garling and Co over the several years we have been battling the system that injured workers are faced with. The wheels of progress are slow within this system.... However Garling and co have always stood by me. Calls are returned and matters are always followed up in a timely more
Tyson Langanke (Five Star W.
00:30 02 Apr 24
I cannot recommend Matthew highly enough for anyone seeking a compensation lawyer. From the moment I reached out, Matthew went above and beyond to ensure that I felt supported and informed throughout... the entire process. No question was too simple for him, and he patiently took the time to explain every step we were taking, alleviating any stress or confusion I had.He not only provided expert legal guidance but also ensured that I fully understood the intricacies of my case. His clear communication made me feel confident and reassured during what could have been a daunting experience.Thanks to Matthew's exceptional expertise and personalized approach, I was able to navigate the complexities of my compensation claim with ease. His professionalism and genuine concern for my well-being truly set him more
Shaylee C.
09:54 27 Mar 24
I recently had the pleasure of working with Garling and Co on my case, and I must say that their service was truly outstanding. From the initial consultation to the resolution of my case, they... displayed unwavering dedication and professionalism.The outcome of my case exceeded my expectations, and I am incredibly grateful for the hard work and diligence exhibited by Garling and Co. I have no hesitation in recommending this law firm to my family and friends, knowing that they will receive the same level of exceptional service.- Traceyread more
Simona M.
05:11 26 Mar 24
Emma and Rebecca have looked after my husband's workers compensation claim over the last 3 years now. We have had positive outcomes from these claims and are now pursuing a work injury damages claim.... They have been amazing to deal with. They are genuine and empathetic over what has been a very stressful time for myself and my family over these last 3 years. Nothing is ever too much for Emma and Rebecca and they are always available to communicate with. We would highly recommend Garling and Co! Thank you Emma and more
Donelle L.
01:16 26 Mar 24
So very happy with the service Garling has provided the care and help has eased a lot of worry I had when going through this process . Many thanks to the entire team

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is a claim for common law damages?

You can claim common law damages if the insurer has accepted that the driver of the motor vehicle was at fault, and you have more than a “minor injury.”

More Faqs
Google Rating